Child, Family, & School Social Worker Career - Salary,Duties,& More

Child, Family, and School Social Workers Career Description

These social workers are responsible for providing social services and assistance in order to improve the social and psychological well-being of children and their families as well as the academic functioning of the children. In the school environment, these social workers serve as a link between the families and the school and work with parents, guardians, teachers, etc. to ensure the students' highest potentials are achieved. This means addressing issues such as misbehavior, truancy, teenage pregnancy, etc. and helping teachers cope with difficult students. Child, family, and school social workers usually work for individual and family services agencies, schools, or State and local governments.

Work Environment

The work environment for this occupation varies with the employment setting since child, family, and school social workers may have to attend meetings, meet with agencies, and address clients' problems at different times.

Child, Family, and School Social Workers Opportunities

Child, family, and school social workers are usually employed in health care and social assistance industries or by State and local government agencies in departments of health and human services.

This occupation is expected to see a 19% increase by 2016 due to rising student enrollments and continued emphasis on integrating disabled students into the general school population.

How much do a Child, Family, and School Social Worker make - Child, Family, and School Social Worker Salaries and Wages

The base salary range for these social workers is from $36,768 to $53,049. The average hourly wage, according to 2007 national averages, is $18.57. Bonuses in this job range from $85 to $104. Benefits for this occupation, according to the national United States averages, are as follows: base salary is $44,383 (69.9%), bonus is $75 (0.1%), Social Security is $3,401 (5.4%), 401k/403b is $1,600 (2.5%), Disability is $445 (0.7%), healthcare is $5,722 (9.0%), pension is $2,045 (3.2%), and time off is $5,814 (9.2%).

How to become a Child, Family, and School Social Worker

Education for Child, Family, and School Social Workers

The most common degree for child, family, and school social workers is a Bachelor's degree and majors in psychology, sociology, or related fields may qualify for some entry-level jobs. However, a Master's degree is more beneficial when seeking employment in public and private agencies and a few other settings. The Council on Social Work Education has accredited more than 450 Bachelor's programs and more than 180 Master's programs. Requirements for certification, a license, or registration vary by State.

Certification is voluntary and is offered through the National Association of Social Workers. Social workers who have acquired a Master's degree in social work may be eligible for the Academy of Certified Social Workers (ACSW), the Qualified Clinical Social Worker (QCSW), or the Diplomate in Clinical Social Work (DCSW) credential depending on their professional experience.

Other Qualifications

Other qualifications for child, family, and school social workers include emotional maturity, a sense of objectivity, and sensitivity to other people and their problems. Furthermore, they must be able to handle responsibility, work independently, and maintain appropriate working relationships with clients and coworkers.


Social workers may advance to supervisor, program manager, assistant director, or executive director of a social service agency or department. This advancement usually requires an advanced degree and related experience. Other advancements may be made possible through employment in teaching, research, and consulting.

Click here to know more...

Online Colleges